2 large beetroots
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
2 thumb size ginger pieces
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
1 star anise
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground clove or cumin
1 cup (about 250 grams) basmati rice
2 1/2 cups (about 500 gr) liquid stock or 2 1/2 cups water + stock powder or cube
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
- Peel and chop beetroot into narrow wedges. Smaller will cook quicker.
- Place an oven safe pot over medium heat with a bit of oil.
- Slice and chop your onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Place in pot and cook until lightly golden. Add the bay leaf and spices and stir well.
- Add your rice, stir well then add your liquid.
- Check your beetroots, if they feel cooked or close to being cooked, add them to your pot, place a lid on and bake at 180 for about 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, all liquid should be absorbed now. Take the lid off, give a stir and let the rice can steam a bit. Its ready!
Topping and side options:
fresh herbs, cucumber riata, toasted almonds and seeds, tahini chilli and lemon dressing. Cayenne spiced onion rings, stone fruit chutney, aubergine tamarind relish, vege medley pakora.
This is another dish that will go great with Pedro's beautiful flatbreads, your protein of choice, fried kale, steamed broccoli or charred cauliflower.