Tart. Quiche. Pie. Flan. Call it what you will, this will disappear quickly on a chilly Sunday arvo.
This recipe is perfect for whatever vegetables you have to hand. Leftover roast vege, that little bit of sad looking spinach, wrinkly mushrooms… fry them up and hide them in a quiche! Who said there’s anything wrong with a little age and character?
Parmesan short crust Pastry
- 2C plan flour
- ½ C margarine
- 4TB angel food parmesan
- 2TB nutritional yeast
- ½ C cold water
1) Combine flour, parmesan, nutritional yeast by hand. Rub together till crumbly. Slowly add cold water and mix until a pastry forms. Don’t knead too much as the pastry get too tough.
2) Shape your pastry in to a flat, round lump (This makes rolling it out easier) then chill the pastry for 20 minutes. Flour your bench and roll out. Now, the tricky part. Roll the pastry disc up and around the rolling pin, then unfold it into your tin. Press the pastry into the edges and repair any cracks or holes.
3) Blind bake at 165 degrees till light golden. ‘Blind bake’ means to line the tart case with baking paper and weigh it down with something like rice that will stop the pastry from bubbling. Remove the paper and rice/beans for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
While the case is baking, prep your vegetables. Saute onion, mushroom and garlic, roast your vege and wilt your greens.
- 2 x blocks silken tofu (Tofu man tofu from Kens mart is the best!)
- 1 ½ TB cornflour
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (Sub for black salt if you want an eggy flavour)
- 4 TB parmesan
- 4 TB nutritional yeast
- ½ C soy milk
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB seedy mustard
1)Blend your tofu in a food processor.
2)Scrape down the sides, then blitz again with the remainder of the ingredients.
3)Scrape out into a large bowl and fold in your roasted vege, fried mushrooms and leek, spinach and herbs etc.
4) Fill the tart, smooth the top over.
5) bake at 170 degrees on the bottom shelf for 20 – 25 minutes. Place a tray above the tart if the filling is colouring too quickly.
6) Allow to set for 5 minutes once out of the oven and serve. Basta!