You can’t beat Noemie’s beautiful beetroot pie with seedy pastry, feta and thyme fried onions! Crumble with your favourite feta, or try our recipe for vegan feta from our previous recipe with this link: www.streamsideorganics.co.nz/blogs/recipes/fennel-slaw-with-silverbeet-hash-with-pea-puree-and-feta
170g plain flour
1 tsp salt
100g cold butter, cubed
4TB sunflower seed
2 to 4 tbsp cold water
Preheat oven at 180.
- In a food processor, add the flour and salt and blend quickly.
- Add cold butter and blend until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add cold water, a little bit at a time while blending, until a dough ball forms.
- Transfer dough to a bowl, add the seeds and knead for a few minutes. Cover and place in fridge for at least one hour. (Can keep refrigerated for 24h or frozen for a few months).
- Once dough has rested, transfer to a floured surface and roll out to fit your baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
4 medium size red beetroots
4 medium size golden beetroots
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven at 180.
- Slice beetroot and evenly spread over baking tray. Drizzle olive oil and salt & pepper all over.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until just cooked.
3 cloves garlic
Few sprigs of thyme
Salt and pepper
2 tsp mustard (Dijon or seeded)
- Heat a pan with olive oil on low to medium heat.
- Slice onions and add to the pan, gently frying.
- Slice garlic and add to onions with thyme, salt and pepper, fry until golden.
- Turn heat off and add mustard, stir well to combine.
Assemble the pie:
- Once pie crust is lightly golden, spread the onion mixture evenly.
- Place the beetroot slivers and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle with feta and fresh herbs and enjoy :)