Sunomono is a classic Japanese side dish. It’s light, crisp and delicious. Noemie has graced us with her version, plus her favourite way of turning it into a full meal. Can’t wait to try this one!
2 cucumbers (or 1 cucumber + 1 courgette)
1/2 tsp of salt
3 tbsp rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp soy sauce
Optional: sprinkle of sesame seeds, dried seaweed (wakame or nori),...
- Using a peeler, make ribbons from cucumber and/or courgette and place in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt and massage through. Leave in the fridge for at least 15min.
- While the cucumber/courgette are in the fridge, make the dressing. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- After 15min, rinse the salt off the cucumbers/courgette under cold water, then squeeze all the water out. Don't fear the squeezing, doing it will give a nice texture.
- Mix the dressing through and enjoy!
Tofu steak with sticky sauce
1 block firm tofu
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp potato starch
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped coriander and/or spring onions
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake (optional)
1 tbsp mirin
1 inch grated piece of ginger
2 garlic cloves
- Slice tofu block lengthwise so you have 1/2 inch thick steak pieces.
- Press down with a tea towel to get rid of juices (if you are using thawed tofu from freezer, even better!).
3. Sprinkle the tofu evenly with potato starch and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the tofu until golden.
5. While the tofu is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together.
- When the tofu looks brown on both sides, add the sauce to the pan and cook until thickened, making sure to coat the tofu.
- Once ready, place on a plate and sprinkle with chopped coriander, spring onions and optional chilli, seeds etc etc….
Miso roasted carrots and potatoes
1 bunch baby carrots
2 tbsp shiro miso paste
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup (or 1/2 tbsp honey)
3 cloves garlic
- Turn your oven on to 160.
- In a large bowl, mix the glazing ingredients together.
- Chop potatoes and carrots as desired, keeping them similar size.
- Mix the potatoes and carrots in the glaze mix and place in oven tray.
- Bake until golden, about 30min, make sure to stir every ten minutes.